Friday, October 8, 2010

grey matters to me

Look around you in the urban milieu and it is likely that you will see very few grey heads. You may sight shades of brown, red, orange, purple, blonde, golden streaks, bald pates, and the ubiquitous black but rarely grey.

As my grey began becoming noticeable, I had many friends suggest that I should start coloring my hair. “You will look younger”. Many asked me whether I was depressed. They thought I was disinterested in my appearance hence this speculation.

I said, "I am forty – am I not entitled to a few grey strands for all the experience and wisdom I have gained? The grey has not come without a price. It is more than what you have paid for that which is available on the shelves of the supermarket or the beauty parlors."

As I touched fifty, I proudly sported an Indira Gandhi – like band on the left side and definitely more salt than pepper all over. “At least do something now – you look so old”, said a few courageous friends.

Look old – but am I not old? Is it something bad? Should I be ashamed? Do I have to hide behind coloured hair? I find that with increasing grey I am addressed with greater respect, people offer to carry my bags, offer seats in crowded places, do not interrupt while I am talking (or hyperventilating), and few dare to take liberties with me. I am sure my grey hair has a lot to do with this. I can vouch for the fact that what one lacks in grey matter can be reasonably covered with grey hair. Try it. I for one am proud to be grey.

7 comments:

  1. true ,but not all of us are as courageous as you are.
    Then there was this lovely Bengali lady whose hair were completely black at the age of 80 and my son's music master who,again,did not have a single grey hair,again at 80 plus.
    Shakespeare said u must assume a virtue if u hav it not ,so i am hell-bent on taking up his good advice.In the process my completely grey hair-i'm not old,only53-is coloured in several shades of desperate mehendi.I do not care if people deride me for it-Shakespeare is the one i value most

    ReplyDelete
  2. recently i heard that it takes all sorts to make....Then i came upon Shakespeare's advice that we must assume a virtue if we have it not.
    I am only 53 but my hair went grey due to friction when i was struggling out of the womb.
    My son's music master is 80 and does not have a single grey hair.So i decided to assume his virtue
    by coloring my hair in desperate shades of mehendi because Shakespeare was on the side of natural products and attributed all his genius to red old mehendi.
    At all times of the year i bear an autumnal look
    with shades of red,orange,yellow,beige and cream -all at once-on my head.I do not care for those who deride me-i care for Shakespeare

    ReplyDelete
  3. No derision implied. Not courage but laziness couched in it. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Which means you are more George Clooney than superstar Rajni :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Read your thoughts just at the right time! I am on the verge of deciding whether to colour my hair or leave them grey. Not able to decide. I have a bigger problem - losing hair fast! If this problem prevails for long then I wouldn't have to worry about the first one.
    I would prefer having something on my head, colured or otherwise, rather than not having any hair at all.
    Not difficult to guess who.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reveal your true colours. It is difficult to guess because there are many at our age who would answer this description! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You atleast have the luxury of deciding what to do for your grey hair! We,the baldies, envy you !!

    ReplyDelete