Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Mummy ka magic

Becoming a mother is momentous enough but becoming a mother-in-law is much more so – here is an adult whose nappies you did not change, whom you did not baby talk to, who did not cling to or hide behind your pallu (proverbial or otherwise) , who did not keep you awake at nights as a baby and then an adolescent and….. so on but who is calling you “Mummy”. When my son-in-law to be addressed me for the first time as “Mummy” I was overwhelmed – cannot pinpoint the emotion – a mixture of happiness, tenderness, motherliness (don’t know whether this qualifies as a valid emotion). It evoked in me the same feeling as when my daughter uttered Ma for the first time (which was quite late and even after she was addressing me as Nitu as I was called by everyone else). "Mummy" is a magic word. Till SK had not uttered it, he was a nice boy and all that but it ended there. But after that, I worry about his health, his eating habits, his comfort and discomfort, I look for things in the men’s section of lifestyle stores that he might like (otherwise I would just skip that floor or drag my feet behind my husband). My daughter cannot understand this and is beginning to show signs of spousal rivalry( aka sibling rivalry) and I do not know how to handle this. If I had had two children, maybe both of us would have known what to do but here, both of us are new to this emotion.

5 comments:

  1. Mummy, you will disappoint many scavengers of the internet netherworld who will be drawn to your page looking for darker things given the title and the backdrop :) They will find warmth, humor (subtle), verve and endearing simplicity - all distinctly "undevil" behavior and very wicked to a simple suicidal soul who might visit to find that one last validation of the grime that life is. It may just be the last straw for him. Very wicked... but very like you as I know you :)
    Please keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awwwwwwwww thats sucha direct expression of ur feelings. sandip putarrrrrrrrrrrr tum bade lucky ho jo tumhe aisi MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaa mili hain :D kya baat kya baat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with SK. The title of your blog is quite a misnomer. I was preparing myself some red hot pokers and acid baths but got treated to something warm and fuzzy instead!

    My MIL became my best friend when we had a beer and pizza party the second time I went over to her house [since the first time, Major General (my dad) was present]. {hint}

    Good going! Keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @SK:Thank you. That sounds rather inadequate I know. But whenever I read what you write (be they your posts or comments), I am rendered speechless for some time. When I recover, I may be able to respond better. ;)

    @Bhavika:Aaaaaawwwwwww

    @Bhairav: Well its SIL ka magic – otherwise living with my daughter, husband and mother-in-law, I was convinced (by them) that I was the devil incarnate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your write-up brought tears to my eyes.You have been able to express yourself so well....

    ReplyDelete